Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Weeeee!!!

Steph came into Pirlita the day before Christmas to hang out. On Christmas Eve we decided to take a walk around the town. Upon reaching the hill next to the school we saw children on 1950's style sleds flying full speed down the hill. What a great time they must be having! I thought "I can get one of these kids to give up there sled for me." So I walked up to a kid I remember from school and asked him if we could use his sled to go down the hill once. He said sure and Steph and I crammed on this sled. The sled is made for one small child, but somehow we thought there would be room for two adults. After cramming onto this old style sled the boy insisted on pushing us down the hill. We were zigzagging down the hill screaming the entire way. It was fun, but we wanted better.
I noticed a sled in the neighbor's yard when starting the walk and so we went back to snatch it. The neighbor wasn't home so we just snatched it up and marched back to the hill like two kids up to know good. We were going to show this children how to sled, even though we have little to know experience. After all, we are American AND adults...we can do anything...and better!
So we get on the slightly larger sled, with me in the front. My feet are propped up on the front parts of the sled legs with Steph's sticking out the side. We put our feet out and start to gain speed. It was sooo freakin fast, we didn't realize how steep the hill really was. After a few times of landing in the ditch, we figure out how to steer the darn thing. The plastic rope reigns just weren't working. Steph was in the back with her feet sticking out straight beside me. I would push down on her ankles, pressing her heels to the ground in order to steer. If we wanted to go left, I would push down her left foot, and likewise for the right. Finally getting this down, we were off on our best ride down the hill. The hill goes from pavement to dirt near the bottom, with about a six inch drop off when the dirt begins. We were feeling courageous and took the sled down to the end. When we hit the drop off we flew in the air. We swear there was at least a foot of air. We were screaming the whole time we were sledding. It was either the wine buzz we had or the shear joy of sledding with children in the snow on Christmas Eve.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home