Saturday, December 24, 2005

Coming Home

I have yet to get a glimpse of a moment as enjoyable as seeing a father and mother reunited with their daughter. As my host mom, host niece and I awaited the arrival of my host father, brother-in-law, and sister after a 3 month stay working in Moscow, my host nieces energy mounted. My host mom anxiously stirred the coltunasi and I tried to downplay the energy rising from my host niece. I was sitting at the kitchen table, and as my niece inched toward me in a game she had been playing for the last 20 minutes, my eyes were fixed on the door. I was searching for a sign of the arrival of the rest of my family. The three parts that will once again return to the piece of my family puzzle here in Moldova. The light outside helped to illuminate any shadows or persons that were to appear in front of the door, allowing me to announce the arrival.
Finally, the moment arrived, and I was anxious for myself and for my host niece and mom. I wanted to see the family I had met fewer times than I desired, for my host niece to view her parents with aged eyes, for my host sister and brother-in-law to view their daughter as an older child, however devilish she had grown to be. For my host mom to gaze her eyes upon her husband. The same husband who rode on his bike, after viewing my mother a few times in the village, asking to visit her and later asking her to marry him...all in the course of about two days.
I did not expect to be as moved by the site of my host sister scooping my niece up in her arms, swinging her around, and showering her with kisses. It reminded me of how important a family is. The same emotion lingered with me as the rest of the family, host brother-in-law and father, entered the room. My brother-in-law had a grin plastered on his face that makes he think he had been practicing it for 3 months he has been away to finally present it to his daughter, for her approval. I have never seen a father more elated to see his daughter. I don't think I will ever see a site more wonderful as that, because I don't think a father can love his daughter and long for her as much as I have seen.
I was very moved to be invited in this entire welcoming. I was showered with kisses, and even presents...which I left in the other house...forgetting them after a few drinks and a resignation to my bed.
Being in this country and seeing the interaction among family has made me realize thee importance of the family. Family members in this country sacrifice their own happiness, health, and occupations, to support the people they love. They celebrate the time they are together, never taken for granted the time they have, but acknowledging it as a gift. They dream about times they will spend together in the future, and morn the loss of loved ones that have passed away.
I am glad my entire family will be together for New Years. I am anxious to have everyone in the same place, as I have forgotten how each one of us interacts with the rest. I am certain we will have a magnificent time.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same is true for you, We anxiously await your return from your job! Love You Bunches! mom

Monday, December 26, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home