Thursday, December 08, 2005

Give Me Your Voice...No Really, Cause I Can't Find Mine

I thought leaving South Georgia meant not having to deal with brutal allergies and the twice a year losing of my voice. Oh no friend, this is just not so. This past Friday and Saturday I had nasty achy phlegmy throat sickness. This did not keep me from classes nor the piata on Sunday. The sickness passed rather quickly, thanks to the nice drugs they pack into our medical supply kits. It was not until today, while in the middle of a lesson, that my voice decided to plan a vacation. I still had enough power to finish out everything and even travel to the store to buy some toilet paper and cappuccino packets. When I got home I complained to my host mom about the situation and halfway through, my voice picked up its bags and headed off, probably in the direction of Bali.
I spent about three minutes trying to persuade some noise out of my throat to call Stephanie to discuss this weekend’s trip to Chisinau. Trying to speak in Romanian with a barely audible husky male-like voice was quite interesting, and I can only imagine what her host family was thinking. Nothing is more frustrating than sounded like a burly lumberjack with only half of the words in each sentence being understandable. Stephanie was a trouper and tried to muffle her laughter as best she could.
Tomorrow I have five lessons and I do not know how I will get through them if my voice decides to prolong its trip. My students will have a fun time doing whatever they please, knowing I can’t yell at them. If I feel like I cannot make it through a lesson without a voice, I can try to consolidate my class with the same classes my counterpart has, if they are at the same time. Ugh, the things I have to deal with. :) The least my voice could do is send me a postcard. Ooooh, or maybe it will bring me back a souvenir, like one of those snow globes with the name of the destination inscribed on it! Too bad I couldn’t go. *sigh*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home