Thursday, December 01, 2005

It's December and I have a project

I can't believe December 8th (I believe) is the 6th month point. This time has gone by so incredibly fast. It is good, but it makes me worry about what I have actually accomplished. I haven't done much outside of school. I have tutored three girls after school when I have the time. I am starting an Odyssey of the Mind team at my school to compete in February. I am excited about this, since I liked competing in OM when I was in school back in the day. I picked four students from my 9th grade class that can speak English very well...or at least well. My counterpart and the other English teacher are going to look through there 9-12 grade students and see if they have good students who would be interested in participating in the competition. I have to create a group of 5-7 students. The competition is all in English and teams from all over Moldova will compete, with the winner's going to Poland for the International Odyssey of the Mind competition, I believe in March or April. My students seemed really excited about the opportunity to use their English and the possibility of winning and going International. It is going to be challenging to teach them to think in a different way, and to come up with creative ideas to solve problems. It will be challenging using English and my level of Romanian to explain how to accomplish everything and to get them to open up closed parts of their minds in order to arrive at different solutions. I am going to try to plan a bake sale to raise money for the registration fee and to pay for the supplies we will need to build our long term project. We need to raise around 160 lei for the registration fee (which is $12) and as most as we can to pay for our supplies. I could pay the registration myself, but then it wouldn't be a team project and I want the students to have ownership in this project. I also want to get my counterpart, the other English teacher, and other teachers involve in this activity so they will be able to carry it on when I leave. It isn't only important to create projects in your community, but also to set them up to have sustainability. So they can continue when you are gone. That whole "give a man to fish, teach a man to fish" thing. I am excited about this project, which will make time go by even faster than it already has, and will help fill time. I am slowing getting over my laziness which I have been plagued with since getting to my village in mid-August. Let's see if I can make some more things happen.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

um, it's not December 8th...

Friday, December 02, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

micha-sass...it's only dec. 2nd, but the blog is fab. and i luuuuuuv the pic/hair combo. you look scrumptious. ha... stay warm and keep us updated!

Saturday, December 03, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home