Thursday, June 01, 2006

Grilling with the Guys



Today was the last day of school. Our school had a ceremony, where teachers spoke and students gave their teachers presents and flowers. I received flowers and some coffee cups, that are really cool. After the ceremony the teachers had a barbeque, minus the red checkered tablecloth and being outside. Mainly, the guys grilled meat and brought it into the cafeteria and we had a masa. I went home to change out of my school clothes and into something more appropriate for the supposed picnic. When I got to school I noticed four of the male teachers grilling. I took a peak inside the school to see what was going on. The women were sitting around in the teacher's lounge, director's office and library, staring at each other and occassionaly engaging in conversation. Not a fun picnic for me. I headed outside to watch the men grill. They welcomed me and one of the teachers gave up his chair so I could have a prime viewing spot. Of course we had to test the meat, it was tasty. They marinated it for two days in vinegar, wine, beer, onions and bay leaves. It was really good. I taught them the word(s) "pre-game" and they quickly picked it up and used it while partaking in cognac and grilling. 3 pre-games later and they were asking about what happens after pre-game. I told them "you have pre-game, game, and (I guess) after game." They said "after the after game there is the feeding of the horse." I was a little confused until they explained that after you have a party or guests over, you have to go outside to feed the horse some oats or sugar, and you have some wine or other beverage for the horse. That is, if they arrive in a cart, if not...then I guess you have one for the car. So America, there are now four phases to the party; pre-game, game, after game, and one for the horse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home