Wednesday, November 23, 2005


Oh the weather outside is frightful

But the fire is so delightful...
You know the rest of the song...don't you? Monday was the first day of snow, so welcome winter to Moldova. I walked to school under falling snow. When classes were over with I walked home under falling snow and this time, with the sound of snow crunching under my feet. It was really pretty, like every Moldovan promised it would be. Walking out of the school house and down the designated path to reach the road was quite tricky. I slipped and almost fell a few times, hoping no one was watching and laughing at the crazy American trying to maneuver through the "foreign" snow. That day every class I had asked me if I had seen snow before, as if it was only an occurrence in the tiny country. I attempted to explain to them that where I am from there is only snow about once a year, but in the North of The United States there is snow and it is just as cold as Moldova. They didn't seem to grasp the concept of weather and how the farther north you go in the world, the colder it will be. Unless you are far south and getting closer to the equator as you are going north. Do they not teach weather, climates, and geography in this school? Or is it only limited to what pertains to their country? Anyway, the day was very pretty and I enjoyed seeing everything covered in snow. To me, it felt like it was a holiday, or soon approaching one. I guess because I am not accustomed to seeing snow often (from living in the South) it feels magical to me to have snow falling. I am sure this feeling will wear off about the 100th day it is snowing.
I am leaving tomorrow to head to Chisinau for a long weekend of All Volunteer meetings, an American Thanksgiving Dinner, and a Language Weekend. I am excited to see everyone and to eat some turkey. Don't worry, it will be Avian Flu-free. I will get to meet the new volunteers that arrived in September and just completed their Pre-Service Training last week. They are in the areas of Agriculture and Community Development. I will be sure to take pictures and spread them across the Internet. Till then, sweet wishes and best dreams!
 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home