Sunday, November 13, 2005

I Did It... I am Bad *ss

We Didn't Start the Fire!
But I Did!
I made my own fire, successful! I am very proud of my fire, even if it isn't as grandeous as my host mom's...it still will keep me warm.
Today I made alfredo sauce and spaghetti to go with the meatballs my host mom bought at the store. We had a neighbor over, which means we drank tons of wine. I set up the table all nice with napkins, plates, cups and everything. We drank two and a half glasses, and then the pitcher was empty. But have no fear, another neighbor stopped by to tell my host mom something. So my host mom went and got another pitcher of wine. We all had about five glasses of wine. This doesn't mean we sipped on them, like crazy Americans. We chugged them, in wine raise to our lips...because this is the Moldovan way. As I sat there trying to pay attention to what was being said...my mind kept wandering. It was a good time though, and everyone enjoyed the food that I made.
I love this country and how they are friends with their neighbors. I want to move somewhere where neighbors drop by unexpectedly and it is a cause for a celebration. Everytime a neighbor comes by for a visit, we go into hospitality mode. Being from the South, I guess I am used to it. We immediately go to the table, I go to the cupboard for glasses for the wine and begin to cut some bread for the table as my host mom goes to the cellar for wine. We set our guest up with a plate and fork, regardless if they have already stuffed themselves with food at their own house. They are forced to eat more, if they ventured into our house. We are bound to show them how great our wine and food are.
Where can neighbors simply walk to another neighbors house and begin to celebrate life, health, friendship, and happiness. When I go with my host mom to someone's house I feel so happy and honored because they make such a fuss over us, and not just me because I am American. It is truly great and I think people in America forget how important just sitting and talking and celebrating each other can be. Just simply celebrating life, health and happiness and not a raise, a job, a life-changing move. Just the simple things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home