Sunday, November 27, 2005

Gobble Gobble

This entry is late, but I want to wish every a Happy Thanksgiving and Holiday Season! I hope your holidays are filled with love amongst friends and family and tons of holiday cheer. I spent my American holiday in the capital, Chisinau, with all the volunteers in the country. We discussed secondary projects, safety procedures, had a talent show, and even ate a traditional American Thanksgiving dinner.
It was a really nice time and I enjoyed being around my new family for the holiday. The dinner was amazing, and the ballroom looked gorgeous. Every small detailed was taken care of and no one walked away hungry. I have to give a big thanks to the volunteers that coordinated the dinner and the festivities and hope that the new volunteers (my group included) will accomplish the same level of greatness that the others have this year.
I am sad to head back to my village, like the end of all my trips to Chisinau for PC conferences. I have spent most of the weekend speaking English and conversing and sharing stories with other volunteers. It is hard to leave and go back to my village where I am among people who speak a different language and we merely discuss the weather, school, or food. I am thankful for the LCFs who have given me the ability to speak Romanian as well as I can, but it is lonely and gets depressing when you can only speak about surface level or a bit below the surface level things. Sometimes you just want to blurt your hopes and dreams and when I do that (or try to) I feel that I am not taken seriously because I may not use the correct grammar or do not have the right words to explain what I mean. I sometimes feel (and kinda know) that when I try to discuss something and am speaking for a while the nationals tune me out or try to think ahead to what I will say and cut me off early because they have already guessed what I am about to say instead of letting me finish my comments. I don't know if that makes sense to you the reader. I can improve this situation by studying more, learning more words, and brushing up on my grammar. I just have to find the motivation somewhere.
With the days getting shorter and darkness beginning at 4.30 I am ready for bed by 6. This is not very condusive to the working girl, considering I get home from school at 4 and 2 hours isn't enough time to accomplish everything I need to accomplish.
But enough of me. I hope you all have had a great Thanksgiving, that you didn't get plundered by the shoppers the day after, and that your plans are going smoothly for the rest of the holiday season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home