Friday, October 07, 2005

Corrupting the Youngins

I just love teaching little kids words. The more inappropriate, the better. My family in America can attest to this. I don't think my sister or brother-in-law were too pleased when I taught my niece to say "oh, sit!" when telling someone to sit down. Little toddler's pronunciations are so quirky, I thought I would seize the opportunity and teach her a hilarious trick. I have now started to corrupt my niece (host niece) here.
It all started over mamaliga. I began teaching her hello and goodbye. She catches on amazingly fast, but can't seem to stop saying "la revedere" immediately after saying goodbye. I thought that if I were to say "goodbye, la revedere" she would make the connection, but now she can't let go of the Romanian equivalent. I think it is rather cute when I come home and she says "buna ziua!" and I immediately reply "hello" causing her to echo it back. Likewise with goodbye. I started introducing her to other phrases, such as "what is your name." I said it once to her and she immediately said it back, perfectly. It was so perfect I suspected someone had already taught her that, but I am the first. It is crazy how fast small children (two years old) pick up bits of information and have no problem remembering them.
So I have taken it as my mission to teach my niece here English. It is amazing that at two years of age, she can already speak three languages, Romanian, Russian, and now English. Although she only knows two words now, she is already way ahead of children in America who are lucky to know two languages in their entire life, let alone master two at the age of two.
Sixth period rolls around today and I have no students in my class. During the break, a group of fourth or fifth graders takes my room hostage. Apparently they are supposed to have class in the room. My two classes of 11th graders, which I am supposed to teach for sixth and seventh period are on an excursion to visit monestaries. I love how I am so completely well informed on things around here. Luckily for me, I just go with the breeze. Who would have thought I would pick up this characteristic?!?!? Anyhow, I had a room full of youngins and they all circled me in the front of the room. Of course, they began to ask me simple questions, "how old are you?" "where are you from?" "are you married?" "where do you live?" It was nice to have that much undivided attention, I certainly don't get it in my classes, and I forgot how that felt. These children were thoroughly entertained by me and kept throwing question after question at me. Strangely enough I understand all that they said. Maybe it is because I am almost on the same Romanian level as they are, even though I am a little behind them. My fellow teacher was enjoying the moment by hanging up a picture of a saint in a corner of the room with her free time. After about twenty minutes of interrogation I decided to pack it up and go home. The other teacher was mighty impressed and told me that I did a good job with the children. It was a breeze and brightened my mood. I get to corrupt/enrich little tikes all around me, what's not to love?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home