Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Ura For Teachers' Day!

Teachers' Day is actually tomorrow, but I felt a little taste of it today. Classes during the first part of the day went as usual. At 2 o'clock (when it is 7th period) there was a concert featuring the 12th grade students. Much to my non-surprise, it was entirely in Russian. They started out with 2 emcees blurting out things, and it seemed to me that they were doing a really good job. But I couldn't tell what the heck they were saying, so can I really be the judge? For some reason or another they went into the audience and got commentary from some of the teachers. They came up to me and said something, shoving the microphone into my face. I was situated in rows of chairs in the audience, and there were only maybe 100 people there (including 30 teachers). I turned to the assistant principal with a "what the h*ll?" comment and she kindly translated it for me. They wanted to know what I thought about the children in the school. Thanks to my slow brain and slight inability to improvise I said something to the effect of "the children here are really good and they are hardworking. It is important because English is harder than other languages. The students have a lot of energy." Whether or not that fulfilled their question or maybe any sense, I don't know. But they smiled and somehow were ever so slightly content with my response.
After the "interview" session, they students performed skits which included some scene with a drunk or disobedient student (I couldn't tell), a song and dance where each student said a few lines and did a little jig and then a final song. I think it is the traditional Moldovan teacher song, but again, it was in Russian. They handed out flowers to all of the teachers and we went on our merry little way.
So, future boyfriends, listen up! I get tons of flowers, all the time! My vase in my room is only vacant about a week out of the month. People in the village give me flowers, students give me flowers, I pick flowers out of the garden in the back, I just have flowers. And these aren't roses, oh no sir. They are daisies and strange wildflowers, that are even better than roses. They smell great and are in tons of bright yellows, pinks, and purples. I love the flowers here. I love it even more that every occasion warrants a crap ton of flowers. Whenever you go to visit someone far away you bring flowers. When someone dies, you bring flowers. When someone has a birthday, you bring flowers. When someone comes home from a long time away, you bring flowers. When it is teachers' day, you bring flowers. When it is the first day of school, you bring flowers. When it is a holiday, you bring flowers. Before I get carpal tunnel, I think you get the point.
So after two years I will be used to getting wildflowers in huge bunches all the time. Start stocking up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home