Thursday, July 14, 2005

Just a Dream

"Just a dream and a wind to carry me." -Christopher Cross
After spending an entire weekend immersed in Romanian I am reassured that I can make it after all. At times I was on the verge of tears and beaten with the homesickness stick, but all in all, it went well. I feel that I will have adequate help and support from the school director and my counterpart in achieving any goals I set for the next two years. Two years? Yep, two years. It is slowing sinking into my presently Romanian packed head that I will be here for two years. A lot happens in two years and I am both excited and nervous contemplating the challenges ahead.
It is no longer strange to walk next to goats on my way to class or to see a horse drawn wagon pass by not on tires, but instead metal rims. Moldova is extremely different than America, a no brainer right? But I am adjusted and enjoy living the “simpler life.” The way things work here are not always efficient (in fact, they rarely are), but they work and that is the way they will always be. The farm tools have wooden handles to prevent the workers from having to bend over to harvest and till the fields. But the simple brooms for cleaning inside and outside are about two feet in length, making a simple and quick task of sweeping very painful when you have to lean over. Maybe our community project can be to introduce the concept of attaching a long stick to the end of the broom, preventing women from having to lean completely over to make their house frumoasa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home