Monday, October 16, 2006

Wine Festival & Haram



This last few weeks have been busy in Chisinau. The weekend before...October 7th, was the fifth annual Wine Festival in Chisinau. Wine is a big part of the tradition here, and there are tons and tons of wine factories throughout the country. The all took part in the festivities, each setting up their own booths for people to sample and buy their wine. I was lucky enough to be in town and with my friend Steph. We caught up with one of her friends and cruised around the place with the mission:wine. We sampled a few and bought some bottles of several white wines and a champagne to try. Then came dancing the hora in the center of the capital while watching concerts. It was a great time and one of the top 10 best times here in Moldova, if not the number one spot.
This last weekend...October 14th, was Chisinau's Haram. Every village, city and whatnot has their own day. This is a chance to boogie on down with your friends and relatives and eat and drink the day/night away. I was in town with my host family and we stopped in the center to check out all the fuss. There were a lot more people here than for the wine festival and after about ten minutes of being pushed around decided to head back to my sister's apartment. Before the concert the men cooked barbecue and the women went on a beer run and prepared the rest of the food. I haven't ate that much food..well, since the day before.
I will put up pictures of Steph and I's good time when she sends them to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home