Friday, February 17, 2006

Happy V Day!

I knew the day was going to start off well. Walking out of my gate, an old man walking by, stopped to wait for me. I didn't know what he was wanting to do but he began talking to me. He had to be about late 60s or early 70s and I could actually understand him. Most old people here mumble their words and it is very difficult for me to follow them. But he articulated very well. He was talking about English and how hard it was to learn. He wanted to know if I would teach him English. I told him I was busy with school but if he saw me around I could teach him a few words at a time. On the walk to school we started with hello and goodbye. Simple enough. In the five minutes it took to walk to school this man knew two words in English. He was very happy and that made me happy.
Valentine's Day was great here in the good old country of Moldova. During our daily tea and cookies students were waiting for me outside with presents. One girl wrote a poem, copied from an English book, on really nice paper with stickers. The poem was about love and how my love is her life and my life is her life. It was sweet. My other students gave me an angel figurine. I loved them both. I had my studnets in 11th grade write valentine's to their family or friends. At the end of the class they all hand me their valentine's. They had written them to me! I am so lucky to have such sweet students. Or maybe they were just trying to sweeten me up...they are my worst behaved class.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home