Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What Are You Looking At?

This situation has come up numerous times so I finally feel the need to address it. Staring in Moldova. It may be that I look funny or am dressed strangely, but people in Moldova roam about freely, staring at people. I have not only noticed them staring at me in a rude manner, but also other people who are native to this country. While walking up a street, the people on the other end (who I am walking towards) stop what they are talking about (probably the price of vegetables) and stare for a solid minute. They don't try to be inconspicuous and don't care that you know they are staring at you. They just stare to their heart is content. It isn't just a normal glance, it is a good and long stare. It is as if I am a multiple facial piercing unnaturally colored Mohawk wearing person making out with my same sex lover in a church parking lot on Sunday blaring anti-semantic rap while chopping off the heads of baby kittens to make juice to sell to the parishioners after mass. But I'm not. I mean really people? Sometimes I smile at them as I pass, other times I walk past, roll my eyes, stick out my tongue, and make a noise, to myself to feel better.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That has got to be the most vivid description of a fictional character I have ever seen.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"chopping off the heads of baby kittens"... Wow you've got some imagination! :) I should write it down somewhere...
From my experience staring mostly depends on how big the place you live in is. So in small villages, they'd always stare at any newcomer/differently dressed/weardly behaving person. In bigger towns (say, Chisinau) you'll get less attention, but I assume you still get stared at since there are not _so_ many foreigners visiting Moldova anyways. While in Moscow you'd simply be ignored for most of times :). That was my experience at least.
Yet, again I might be wrong

Friday, February 10, 2006  
Blogger Val said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, February 13, 2006  
Blogger Val said...

It's simple, Moldovans are very very curious people - as we were/are isolated from the outside world, we can identify the foreigner just from the way they walk. I do appologize if it makes you uncomfortable, but believe me, the people there don't want you no harm. Let's put it this way - to them you are a like a sample from another world, and they are observing you to identify your deeds. Enjoy the attention! It's like being a star/celebrity :)

Monday, February 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home