Sunday, January 15, 2006

The Year of the Dog

Today (actually yesterday because I am late in posting this) is yet another holiday in Moldova. Luckily for me, and my liver, it is the final celebration of the holiday season. This whole big Hoo Ha started with New Years, of course, on December 31st. Drinking eating and dancing. Next up was Christmas on January 7th. In Moldova, most of the people are Orthodox and follow the Orthodox calendar. Only Russia, Belarus and Moldova (I believe) celebrate Christmas on this date. Finally, the Old New Years. Yet another oxymoron in the land of Moldova. Every Moldovan I have spoken with has said that New Years (both Old, and...well New) is a bigger holiday than Christmas. Who would have thought the beginning of a new year is more important than the birth of our lord and savior Jesus Christ? I don't question, I just tip up my glass of cognac after saying "La Multi Ani."
The plans for this last holiday of the season are normal, I suppose. My host family (Aliona, Mihai and Loridana too) are traveling to the nearby village of Bumbata where my host grandma is preparing the feast. There will be other relatives there, including the family I spent Christmas with. I'll be sure to count the people crowded around the table and let you know the final number. I think I currently hold the record of 12 people around the table in my room. I will also try to count the number of drinks, as well as types of alcohol, that I consume today. I said I will try...things start to get hazy after the 8th shot of vodka/shot of cognac/glass of wine and the nonstop Moldovan conversations don't help to clear my head.
The people of Moldova are incredibly interesting in horoscopes, the year and the month you were born. They use these things to figure out your personality and why or why not the person you are with is good for you. This year, 2006, is the year of the Dog. I was born in the year of the Dog and so this year is going to be a great year for me. Whenever I talk about a family member my host mom always asks "what month were they born in? ... oh, capricorn (or whatever sign they are) they are spicy and make quick decisions." A newspaper in Moldova even published an entire spread devoted to horoscopes for the new year. The pages had a grid, with each monthly sign down the left side and then across the top of the spread. You are supposed to find your sign on the left and the sign of your partner on the top and then look at the box where they intersect. In the box are symbols to tell you how the next year will be for you with that person. Love, Money, Fighting, A New Child, Problems with Children, etc. My host mom in Costesti was quick to evaluate her and Slavic's relationship and to question Olesea about her boyfriend prospects. She tried to prod me for guys that I like so she could check out what lies ahead for us. I politely declined.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home