Saturday, July 15, 2006

Trying New Things

...not me. I have tried enough new things. This morning while drinking coffee and eating fruit with my host mom I was telling her about a chinese-style meal and she was very interested. So interested, she laid out some chicken on the counter to thaw so that I could make this so-called "stir fry." Going about my early morning business (a.k.a reading, crocheting...) she began cleaning carrots and onions and set them out for me to use and even cleaned rice. I began the fun task of making stir fry, which I am all too used to doing in America. I cooked the chicken with a little seasoning and even less oil and then began cooking the carrots and onions in a little water, to cook them with oil. I added some squash and whipped up a sweet and sour sauce made from tomato paste, vinegar, sugar, and compote. Yummy right? The rice finished up and I added all the chicken, vegetables and sauce together to simmer a bit. The finished product looked great. I showed my host mom how to eat with chopstick, she declined. She asked, "Why don't they just grab a fork and eat with that? It is a lot easier."
My host mom tasted the finished product, and after saying the chicken was too tough, finished off the bowl for me. She really enjoyed it and after hearing about Mexican food you can imagine what I will be up to soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you tried sweet and sour sauce with sugar, pinapple juice, cherry juice, cornstarch and water?

Thursday, July 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home